Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Fiascos, Felines, and Fresh Beginnings

Did that picture get you hooked or what?? =) Meet Chance. This is a very cute kitten my mom

found a week ago on the side of the road - we think he had been thrown out of a car - and brought home. We are working on bonding with him...not too hard, since he's very cute and likes to be held and cuddle. We're also trying to find him a good home, which I'm quite sad about.




Well, anyway, on to the real reason for a post. Any of you who have talked with me over the past 4 months or so will know that my summer plans have been kind of a fiasco from the beginning. I had hoped to work at Carp Community Church, but after 4 weeks of waiting finances ultimately derailed that plan. In the meantime, because I don't like to be without a plan, I had applied at a church in Fresno, CA (name witheld to protect the guilty) which would have been a great opportunity to grow in team ministry but turned out to have a very disappointing outlook on Princeton's theology and consequently felt the need to grill me for 2/3 of my interview to, what I presume was, "test my theology." At any rate, after agonizing about it (they offered me a position) for far too long I eventually told them no because I just had a feeling it wasn't where God was calling me. So, I put out some feelers...in May. After finals were over. A bit late to begin again in looking for a summer job.


But, when God provides, He really does. I contacted two churches, First Presbyterian Berkeley, and my home church, First Presbyterian, Visalia, hoping that one of them would have need of an intern, but not expecting too much. I suppose it's when you expect the least that God provides the most. Both churches responded with possibilities and I began pursuing an internship at my home church. I'll leave out all the nitty-gritty details, but I am proud and thankful to report I have a job for the summer!


So, what will I be doing? A little of this and a little of that...my main focus will be kick-starting the junior high group again and creating a program that will be sustainable into the fall as well as locating and training a junior high leader to pass the torch to after I leave. Youth group, a Bible study, "Coffee Hour with Megan," monthly events...so exciting!!! But I will also be...and this is the part I am most excited about...acting as the intern for the 210 center, a community center the church just opened a couple of months ago, helping with the college ministry, Elevate, which is 120 people strong, and helping run and coordinate the concert ministry at 210!


I'll definitely be picking up a second job, because you never do any ministry for the money...that's what Starbuck's is for! And I'll be taking a statistics class at the community college to cover one of my prereqs for my M.S.W. I think this is going to shape up to be a good summer! However, this post is getting a bit long, so I'll stop for now, but I'll be back in a couple of days to share about how 210 came into being!





"Gloria in excelsis Deo!"

No comments: