Thursday, February 14, 2008

Praying for Northern Illinois University...

Today a gunman who had previously been a graduate student in sociology at NIU last spring opened fire on a geology lecture at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, Illinois. He killed five students and injured 2 dozen more before committing suicide.

What kind of terrible disservice must we be doing to our students to compel them to this kind of horrific act, less than one year after Virginia Tech?? How can we be so blind to their needs so as to not reach out before it's too late? These questions seem insurmountable in the face of such tragedy...but we have to start thinking about it now before it is too late again and we lose more of God's children in the face of desperate violence.





"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever." -Psalm 23

No comments: