Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Happy Birthday to me...


Current Princeton temp: 49
Currently Reading: birthday cards and Facebook wall messages
(Graffiti courtesy of Megan Phillips...thank you!)

My birthday is usually a very happy, fun, and "normal" occasion. This year, it's a little more..."un-normal". Please don't misunderstand my difficult feelings about my birthday as grumbling towards any of you who have sent or may send birthday wishes my way; those are in fact the things I am most happy about today! Rather, my birthday this year is difficult because I am away from (most) of those whom I love dearly and miss terribly and in being so, and reminded of how deeply and wonderfully our friendships and relationships with family have gone in my 24 years. I'm used to having a big dinner with my really close friends, I'm used to seeing my mom on my birthday and to her insisting on getting a Costco-sized cake no matter how many or few people are coming to celebrate, and I'm used to being in a familiar place on my birthday.

Yet, even though I may seem sad that it's my birthday this year, or may be struggling with how that feels and the difficulty of being separated from my loved ones, please know that I appreciate your thoughts and prayers, and especially your birthday wishes. I know that each day is a gift from God, even the difficult ones, and that my birthday is one the cherish. Today I am fundamentally sound, and that is just enough.

Love,
Megan

2 comments:

Brian J. said...

I totally understand your difficult feelings with this birthday, though I admit I can't empathize with them -- yet. I don't feel offended by your emotions; I understand that they're very normal and rather to be expected. I just hope you know / will know that too. =) And I'm sure you will, in time.

In the meantime, have a wonderful day, whether or not you feel like it. Because, after all, this is still Megan-Day, no matter where you happen to be!

SillyMissErica said...

I totally understand, my dear. Last year's birthday was difficult because I had no family and one friend around. Thank God for Lessita being around or my 24th birthday would have been a depressing funkified time. I'm completely dreading my coming birthday because it's the big 2-5 and I am not where I was hoping to be ten years ago.

Hope your day was magnificent.

Love,
E